Succulents can steal the present in a drought-tolerant panorama. Their structural and unique shapes add whimsy and originality to a desert yard.
With a bit of data, succulents are as simple to take care of as another drought-tolerant plant. Right here’s the key: Succulents embody all kinds of vegetation. Whereas there are basic succulent-care pointers, you will need to perceive how every one is completely different and what it must thrive.
For instance, many kinds of aloe will tolerate the solar however their leaves will stand as much as shield their cores and sometimes flip a purple-brown. When planted in partial shade, these identical vegetation chill out, open up and stretch out their shiny inexperienced leaves to look prettier.
Full Solar Succulents
Whereas most succulents choose partial solar, some thrive in full solar, comparable to Octopus Agave (Agave vilmoriniana), the twisted Slipper Flower (Pedilanthus macrocarpus, however reclassified as Euphorbia lomellii), and the thick-leaved Parry’s Agave (Agave parryi).
Solar lovers additionally embrace most kinds of desert milkweed (Asclepias spp.) vegetation, that are well-liked in desert yards as a result of butterflies feed on them when nonetheless caterpillars.
Partial or Full Shade Succulents
There are a couple of that thrive in partial or full shade and can enliven that strip of yard that hardly ever sees the solar.
- Elephant Meals (Portulacaria afra): Now right here’s an attention-grabbing sprawling and very hardy plant that lives in shade – and full or partial solar. It simply isn’t that fussy. It’s additionally a stunning container plant that may develop up, out and over the edges.
- Sago Palm (Cycas revoluta): Get a tropical look with out the work and mess of a palm tree. These pretty palm-like succulents develop sluggish and low, by no means getting a lot larger than 5 ft. Additionally they can take partial solar.
- Easy Agave (Agave desmettiana): These well-liked and hardy succulents are darkish inexperienced, rosette fashioned, with a lot of offshoots. After they bloom as soon as in eight years or so, it’s a spectacular stalk with yellow flowers.
Maintaining Your Succulents Wholesome
Regardless of the variations, there are a couple of basic ideas for rising wholesome succulents.
- Most choose shadier spots in your backyard with partial solar. So plant them below an eave, close to a porch, round a shade tree or on the east aspect of a shrub that may shield them from the western solar.
- Don’t water succulents when the climate is chilly. They more than likely will rot and die.
- Don’t dig a properly on the base of a succulent and let water sit across the roots. When you have created swales in your panorama for water harvesting, plant succulents on the dry banks the place water can shortly drain away. If heavy rain is within the forecast, create small drainage ruts round your succulent to hold away the water.
- Cover succulents if the temperature reaches freezing. The eaves, porch roofs, bushes or shrubs that create shade for succulents additionally may also help to guard them from some chilly injury. Vegetation within the open are extra susceptible.
- Many succulents do properly in pots as a result of their root buildings typically are small. In the event you plant them in a container combine in about 50 % perlite or pumice to a great high quality potting soil to assist enhance drainage. By no means use a drip pan instantly below a pot with a succulent. Set the container on bricks or small stones to forestall it from sitting in water.
Discover the succulents that would add a bit of drama to your yard at AMWUA.org/landscape. Then be taught in regards to the succulents you want earlier than planting them. There are consultants readily available at your local nursery, the spring plant sale on the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix or The Central Arizona Cactus and Succulent Society conferences held as soon as a month on the backyard.
This article initially appeared on December 28, 2015, and is being reposted with permission. For 50 years, Arizona Municipal Water Customers Affiliation has labored to guard our member cities’ skill to supply assured, protected and sustainable water provides to their communities. For extra water data go to www.amwua.org.