Utilizing your gradual cooker makes this low-carb hen keto lo mein a breeze to make on a busy day. Even the hen items brown up within the crock pot!
Probably the greatest issues about keto is which you can nonetheless take pleasure in your favourite consolation meals by tweaking them to suit your macros. This keto-friendly tackle a traditional Chinese language recipe is ideal for satisfying your cravings with out sacrificing your progress.
Through the use of kelp noodles instead of conventional lo mein noodles, you’ll be able to hold the carbs low whereas nonetheless having fun with all of the flavors and textures you’re keen on. And with lower than 2 grams of internet carbs per serving, this dish is ideal for anybody following a ketogenic eating regimen.
I’ve found a brand new discovered love for crock pots so I made this low carb hen lo mein totally within the crock pot. Even the meat was browned contained in the crock.
It took simply over an hour for the lower hen thigh meat to brown with my gradual cooker on excessive. As soon as the hen was browned, I eliminated it and added the sliced Chinese language cabbage to the crock.
Apart from the kind of noodles used, the elements on this low-carb crock pot lo mein are much like what you will discover in a typical recipe. It simply replaces the common noodles with ones which are authorized for a keto eating regimen.
These are the objects wanted for the recipe.
- Hen – Boneless skinless hen thighs are most well-liked for the most effective style. Alternatively, you should utilize boneless skinless hen breasts.
- Lo mein noodles – Though many recipes name for egg noodles, this keto-friendly model makes use of kelp noodles. Different choices for keto noodles embody spaghetti squash, lupin flour noodles, and shirataki noodles (Miracle Noodles), zucchini noodles, or veggie noodles.
- Cabbage – I like to make use of napa cabbage. Nevertheless, child bok choy or common inexperienced cabbage are nice alternate options.
- Seasonings – The seasoning embody garlic, ginger, coconut aminos (or low sodium soy sauce), sweetener, rice vinegar, salt, and floor black pepper. Sesame oil and elective crimson pepper flakes add to the flavour.
- Broth – To reinforce the style, hen broth is used within the sauce.
💭 Fast ideas
- Change the kelp noodles if wanted. Different choices for keto noodles embody spaghetti squash, lupin flour noodles, and shirataki noodles (Miracle Noodles), hearts of palm noodles, zucchini noodles, or veggie noodles.
- Add extra greens. I like to incorporate further veggies once I make make lo mein. Good add-ins embody broccoli, crimson bell pepper, snow peas, and lower inexperienced beans.
- Garnish the highest. To decorate up the dish, sprinkle on sesame seeds or sliced inexperienced onions.
- Save on elements. I discover the costs for all my favourite objects are actually excessive domestically in comparison with what yow will discover on-line. That is why I lastly determined to affix Thrive Market!
This low cooker hen recipe is de facto easy to organize. Simply comply with these straightforward step-by-step instructions.
Prep and cook dinner meat
Mix coconut aminos (or soy sauce) with sesame oil and garlic paste to make a marinade. Let the hen items sit within the marinade for a minimum of half-hour within the fridge.
Add the hen to a gradual cooker and cook dinner on low till cooked all through. It takes about one or two hours on low however you’ll be able to pace that up by utilizing the excessive setting.
Take away the hen from the gradual cooker then place the garlic, ginger, and chopped cabbage within the backside of the crock pot. Put the hen on prime.
Put together and add sauce
Make the sauce by whisking collectively hen broth, coconut aminos (or soy sauce), sweetener, sesame oil, rice vinegar, and elective crimson pepper chili flakes.
Pour the sauce over the hen and cabbage. Prepare dinner one other hour or two within the gradual cooker relying in your mannequin and warmth setting used.
Put together and add noodles
About ten minutes earlier than the cooking is finished, rinse the kelp noodles and soak in water. This softens them up earlier than utilizing.
Though the noodles do not require cooking, I added then into the ultimate ten minutes of gradual cooking to heat them up within the dish.
Add the ready noodles to the gradual cooker and canopy with sauce. If the sauce is just too skinny, you’ll be able to add in somewhat thickener. I like to make use of xanthan gum because it’s low in carbs.
That is all there may be to creating gradual cooker hen lo mein!
🍽️ Serving ideas
In the event you do not add plenty of greens to the dish, attempt including a facet of roasted asparagus or spiralized zucchini noodle salad. A sunomono cucumber salad can be an effective way to start out the meal.
In the event you loved this straightforward crock lo mein, you might wish to attempt a few of these different favorites.
Crock Pot Keto Hen Lo Mein
Utilizing your gradual cooker makes this low carb crock pot hen lo mein a breeze to make on a busy day. Even the hen items brown up within the crock pot!
In a small bowl, mix the hen with the marinade and go away within the fridge for a minimum of half-hour.
Spray within gradual cooker with non-stick coating spray. Add marinated hen to the gradual cooker and cook dinner on low for 1-2 hours or excessive for 1 hour stirring a few times till cooked by way of.
Take cooked hen out of the gradual cooker. Place garlic, ginger and Chinese language cabbage within the backside of your gradual cooker and put cooked hen on prime.
Mix sauce elements in a bowl and pour over all of the elements in gradual cooker.
Prepare dinner on excessive for half-hour – 1 hour or low for 1.5 – 2 hours, stirring often to distribute the sauce evenly.
About 10 minutes earlier than cooking time is up, put together kelp noodles by rinsing and soaking in water.
Add the noodles into the gradual cooker and use tongs to cowl noodles with the sauce. Add xanthan gum or different low carb thickener if desired.
Flip gradual cooker on excessive and cook dinner a further 10 – quarter-hour.
If you cannot discover kelp noodles, spaghetti squash strands or shiratake noodles work effectively as alternate options.
Be happy so as to add in another low carb greens like broccoli or bell peppers. Different meat might be used instead of the hen as effectively.
Makes 6 servings
Vitamin per serving: 1.5g internet carb, 2.5g erythritol (or fiber) from sweetener
Energy: 174 | Carbohydrates: 3.1g | Protein: 24.5g | Fats: 8.1g | Sodium: 436mg | Fiber: 1.6g
Array ( [calories] => 174 [carbohydrates] => 3.1 [protein] => 24.5 [fat] => 8.1 [sodium] => 436 [fiber] => 1.6 )
Observe on Dietary Data
Dietary info for the recipe is offered as a courtesy and is approximate solely. We can’t assure the accuracy of the dietary info given for any recipe on this website. Erythritol carbs usually are not included in carb counts because it has been proven to not impression blood sugar. Internet carbs are the whole carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this materials with out written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited until for private offline functions.
Single photographs could also be used, offered that full credit score is given to LowCarbYum.com together with a hyperlink again to the unique content material.
First revealed on September 7, 2015. Put up up to date on Could 13, 2022, with new photographs and extra recipe info.