Southern Comfort: Classic Shrimp & Grits Recipe
Picture this: a plate of creamy, buttery grits adorned with plump, succulent shrimp, all bathed in a rich and flavorful sauce. This Classic Shrimp & Grits recipe is a true embodiment of Southern comfort, bringing together the rustic heartiness of grits and the indulgent delight of perfectly cooked shrimp. Whether you’re relishing this dish on a leisurely weekend morning or preparing it for a cozy dinner, it’s a timeless Southern tradition that never fails to satisfy.
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup Andouille sausage, diced
- 1/4 cup bell peppers, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Gradually whisk in the grits and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook the grits, stirring occasionally, until they are thick and creamy, about 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese, heavy cream, and butter until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the Andouille sausage over medium heat until it’s browned and crispy. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté the bell peppers, onion, and garlic until they are tender and fragrant.
- Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook until they turn pink and opaque.
- Return the cooked Andouille sausage to the skillet. Sprinkle Cajun seasoning over the mixture and toss to combine.
- To serve, spoon a generous helping of the creamy grits onto a plate. Top with the shrimp and Andouille mixture.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley for a burst of color and freshness.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Creamy grits, savory shrimp, and spicy Andouille sausage come together in this Classic Shrimp & Grits recipe that captures the essence of Southern comfort.
Nutrition information: Calories: 380; Total Fat: 22g; Cholesterol: 185mg; Sodium: 910mg; Total Carbohydrates: 26g; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Protein: 21g;
Picture yourself savoring each spoonful of this heartwarming dish, where the creamy texture of grits marries the bold flavors of shrimp and Andouille sausage. The combination of tender shrimp, smoky sausage, and the slight kick of Cajun seasoning creates a symphony of flavors that dance on your palate. Every bite is a reminder of Southern culinary traditions that have stood the test of time, offering both comfort and a satisfying culinary experience.